Pages

Saturday, June 3, 2017

The Rose Valley

Rose Valley, watercolor sketch
The Rose Valley is the name of a region in Bulgaria, at the foothills of the Balkan mountains. The valley is famous for its rose-growing fields. This is a centuries old industry that makes Bulgaria one of the major producers of rose oil.

This year I happened to visit this region during the rose picking season, when the fields were in their full glory. I was pleasantly surprised by the beauty of the landscape with lush green valleys, surrounded by rolling hills and framed by the high peaks of the Balkan in the background.

These are a few sketches I did on location, while enjoying the lovely spring weather.

Balkan Mountains, watercolor sketch

Panitsite Valley, watercolor sketch

Kalofer, watercolor sketch

Pelargonium, watercolor sketch


4 comments:

Sadami said...

Dear Blaga, I love all your sketches that tell me how caring you are! I hope I will meet you in person and let's sketch together outside. Best wishes, Sadami

Jane said...

Amazing landscapes ! The top one with the roses is my favorite though , love the field of roses against the mountains far far away ! . Nice to learn about the rose oil business, I didn't know Bulgaria was one of the top producers.

Judy said...

Your sketches give a wonderful impression of a beautiful landscape! But the top one is my favorite too!

Merce Ares said...

Hola Blaga: Hermosa recorrida por tan bellos lugares de Bulgaria, reflejados con tu hermoso y delicado pincel. Felicitaciones!!