Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Dwarf Iris


The spring is here and today I spent hours cleaning the garden from last year's dry plants. It is a small yard, but over the years I've replaced almost all grass with flower beds. I enjoyed finding out the green tips of all those different plants coming out of the ground. Very soon there will be a profusion of daffodils, hyacinths and tulips, but for now the only blooms are these dwarf irises. They show up very early in the spring - after the snowdrops and crocuses but before everything else. At only 15 cm height, their flowers are quite large for their size, and really beautiful. Although I was exhausted, I did a quick sketch with a brush only right there, in the yard. It is so great to be able to stay outside without scarfs and gloves!

5 comments:

Judy said...

Great sketch Blaga! Very beautiful flowers!

Lydie said...

Beautiful in a loosy style.
It's funny, I have the same flowers in my garden ... but it's a long time that they are faded.

AK said...

Your work is so simple and uncluttered.

Jane said...

Dear Blaga. It is so interesting with the blogs to be able to follow the various Springs around the world; my iris are for example long gone, and today the last Tulips lost their flowers, Crocus...who can remember. But enjoy your Spring, I almost envy you , I wouldn't mind starting all over, it does last so little, and your Iris sketch is just great. Hugs

Blaga said...

Thank you Judy, Lydie, Asit, thank you all for your comments! Loose and simple is what I was after and normally a challenge for me.

On the other hand, Jane, everybody's beautiful floral paintings made my long winter much more bearable this year :) Thank you for stopping by!